...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, September 20, 2004

I'm not a stalker, I swear. No, really.

A few days ago I found myself bored. I didn't want to do homework, no new recaps I was interested in had been published on Television Without Pity, and I didn't want to start a new book. What's a girl to do? If you're me, you start Googling everybody you know.

I'm not going to go up to someone and be all, "Hey, congratulations on that award you won your sophomore year in high school!" but that kind of stuff is really interesting to me. I know on a theoretical level that people exist before they come into my life, and I know that people go on living and loving and dreaming and crying and screaming after they bow gracefully (or not) out of my life. But still...it's a little jarring to find something I used to know who now exists in a totally different context--just as it's startling to find a hometown news article or school newsletter about someone from before I met them.

The problem with Googling people, though, is that so many people have very common names. I type in Matt Price, for instance, and there are 7,880,000 results. Um. So, after awhile I started searching for people with more unusual names, like this one guy I knew in high school named Nick Z.

This page was one of the first results for his name, and it. is. awesome. I've tried to reconstruct some of the history behind it, and I think it must have been a project for a Government class last spring; apparently they were doing a simulation of the primaries and Nick was portraying John Edwards. You absolutely have to watch this campaign adwith the sound on. It's the best thing I've seen in a long time. Maybe ever.

And, Nick? If you've somehow found this page...I'm promise I'm not stalking you. I do it because I care. Aw!