...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

What color is my hair?

No, really. I'm asking seriously. What color is my hair? I've always--always--considered myself to have brown hair. Light brown, I will grant you that. Golden brown, if the sun's shining on it. When I was a preschooler it was blonde, but it's steadily darkened since I entered the public school system. By the time I hit middle school, my mom was the only person who would still say that I was a blonde.

But since college, and in the past few weeks especially, people have been telling me that I'm blonde, and I can't stop thinking about it. Alyssa, Simran**, and Angela (from Stewart) have all independently told me, a propos of nothing, that I'm blonde, and since I keep bringing it up in conversation, several other people have told me that they see where they're coming from. For some reason I've fixated on this. I don't know why it's so interesting to me, but I think it has something to do with an experiement some of us did in Sarah's apartment on her birthday a few weeks ago. We all stood in front of a full-length mirror, and tried to figure out if the way we see ourselves in the mirror is the same as the way others see us face-to-face...you know? When you look at yourself in the mirror and see your reflextion, and your features are reversed, is that an accurate representation of how you actually look to someone when they see you head-on? Maybe we've all been going around with slightly skewed ideas of what we look like...because we'll never see ourselves except as a mirror image. Is it possible that I have an inaccurate conception of what my own hair color is?

Maybe. But I still think I have brown hair.

**This is the new Simran. There are now two Simrans living in the dorm! How strange is that? First-year Simran comes from Mumbai originally, but I think she spent most of her life in Singapore.