...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Back in Portland and feeling grand!

That rhymes, but only if you really emphasize the LAND and kind of trip over the syllables a little. Oh well. The point is, I had a wonderful fall break in Seattle! Getting off campus was really the right thing to do--I spent a lot of time with my little cousins A, D, and K, and saw my Grandma for the first time in over a year. Wow! I didn't realize it had been that long until I got up there. Today was Little K's 4th birthday! I demonstrated my mad face-painting skillz at the party...I wish. Let's just say that there were several kids running around who, with a lot of imagination, sort of looked like tigers. D and A, who are six-year-old twins, have both lost several teeth and took great joy in wiggling their loose teeth for me. You know, loose, wiggling, hanging-on-by-just-the-root and capable-of-complete-rotation teeth are really pretty gross.

The quote of the day comes from my cousins:

D: Me first!
K: No, I'm first!
D: No, me!
A: Well, I'd rather be last, because the first will be last and the last will be first.

I laughed pretty hard at that. Oh, kids! They say the darndest things.:-P Expect a longer post tomorrow!