...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Bookstores are dangerous places for me

Just today, I bought:

The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath. I read it over the summer and I already have a copy, but I figure it's worth keeping another one around just in case. Plus, it was only a buck and is old and cool-looking.

The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty. For a dollar, why not?

Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy. Actually, a family friend gave me an old copy today. Fo' free! Woo! I'm not sure if I'll actually read it, but I never turn down free stuff.

Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #7: Snowbound, Ann M. Martin (or one of her stable of ghostwriters). Um, I'm not kidding in the sidebar "About Me" section when I say that I love the Baby-Sitters Club. It's a bit of shameful secret. Rest assured that I'm cringing right now. Along those lines, I also bought BSC #4 Mary Anne Saves the Day, #12 Claudia and the New Girl, and #27 Jessi and the Superbrat.

Rosanna of the Amish, Joseph W. Yoder. From the description on the back cover, it's about an Irish orphan who's adopted into an Amish community; I was browsing the Amish/Mennonite section at Powell's, since I'm mildly interested in Amish culture, and it caught my eye. It's a true story, too, and I think the author must be Amish or from an Amish background with a last name like Yoder.

The Revolution of the Latin American Church, Hugo Latorre Cabal. A few days ago, I was talking with Professor Morrill at the meeting for Religious Studies majors. She teaches my Religion in Modern America class. She asked me what areas I was particularly interested in and I mentioned my idea of doing my thesis on the applications of liberation theology within the migrant farmworker community. She asked me what liberation theology works I've been reading and I was all, "Uh..." Although I talk about it a lot, I've never studied liberation theology formally. I think this book will be a good introduction. Prof. Morrill also recommended Gustavo Gutiérrez's A Theology of Liberation as the ground-breaking book on the subject, but I couldn't find a used copy at Powell's.

The People's Church: Bishop Samuel Ruiz of Mexico and Why He Matters, Gary MacEoin. I was so excited to find this book, because it addresses exactly what I'm writing my History of Modern Mexico term paper on: the use of liberation theology among the Zapatistas in Chiapas. Plus, the book is signed by both Ruiz and MacEoin!

I also bought an awesome calendar at a garage sale, but that's a topic for another post. I'll just tell you that calendar? Is the 1984 Teddy Bear Calendar.