...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Happy birthday to me! Not.

There's a girl here at LC whose name is very similar to mine: We're both Jessica Jo-----s, although her last name is very common, while mine--well, pretty much anyone outside of the Czech Republic who shares my last name is going to be a close relative of mine. I first met this girl last semester at Maggie's, one of the cafés on campus. Our conversation went something like this:

She (looking at my ID card): Oh, you're Jessica Job----! I'm Jessica Joh----.
I: Oh, hi!
She: I always wondered who you were. We're right next to each other alphabetically.
I: Yeah, cool.
She: In fact, sometimes when I don't want someone to call me, I tell them I'm you.


I...kind of don't think she was kidding, either.

On Wednesday, when I checked my mail, there was a big ol' envelope in my box. The fancy kind. I ripped it open and I saw several bills of different denominations sticking out. I was all, "Hmmm, curious. Why is someone sending me money? Ah, screw it. Woo hoo!" Then I turned the card over and saw that it said "Happy 21st Birthday!"

Oh. Oh. Boo.

I ran into Jessica Joh---- on my way to class and gave her the card. She said that she gets my mail, too, sometimes. She also thanked me for not stealing her birthday money. I figured it was the least I could do.