...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, October 22, 2004

A quick one while he's away

Don't try to analyze the title of the post--there is no particular "he" that I'm thinking of. It's the title of an awesome WHO song from the Rushmore soundtrack, and is meant just to convey that this will be a quick post, comprised of recent memorable quotes, rather than an actual update; that will come later (by Saturday, I hope. It's actually Saturday now, but I'm post-dating this entry. Shhh!). In the interim, thanks a lot to those of you who left comments on my last entry or have stopped by to talk with me, either in person or over Messenger--I really, really appreciate your kindness and support as I try to work through this.

But! Quotes. People are quotable.

Prof. Cortell, in International Affairs: "So, should I give you guys a reading over the weekend?"
Kathleen: "No, it's the weekend, man. You gotta relax! [to me in a horrified whisper] I just called Cortell man!"

Prof. de Farías, explaining the possibility of students taking two weeks off in February to work on a Habitat for Humanity project in Portugal: "I don't think it would be a problem, because it's for something worthwhile. I mean, it's not like your visiting your grandma or something."

de Farías again: "There's an interesting book--I mean, it's old, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting."

Sam, describing the laid-back no pasa nada structure of History 347: Modern Mexico: "Anyone ever get the feeling that this isn't a real class? It's like we're all just hanging out...It's like...Mexico Club."

Me, returning to the dorm from the library at 4am: "Well, I didn't make it back by 2..."
Hillary (my roommate): "No, not quite..."
Me: "Well, four is a multiple of two."

On a related note, today I made a resolution: I'm going to be out of the library every night by 3am at the latest. No more sleeping on the couch in the Pamplin room, because it's not even that restful. You know you're in trouble when you start bringing a travel alarm clock with you to the library.

Also, Amy, a freshmen this year who lives down the hall from me, just started a blog. Read it! That's all for now.