...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I love my family

Here's why:

Dad, quizzing Andy and me on old Disney movies: "What Silly Symphony cartoon was based on the story of King Midas?"
Andy: "Uh...'Pants Oh-So-Tight'as?'"

It's funny being home after being away at college for awhile. I have to reaccustom myself to all the silly/weird/annoying things my family does, like talk all at once (I know that annoys my mom, too), quote movie lines incessantly (which is not usually annoying, so much as awesome, and something I miss while I'm at school), talk with and for our cat Daxie (there's a very distinct "Daxie voice" which we use to express her thoughts) and the funny little games we play. Like, for instance, my brother Andy, who is sixteen, invented this game with his friends: when a commercial comes on, everyone tries to guess which one it is. The first person to shout out the company or product wins that commercial. That's it. Or when we watch King of the Hill, at the end of the final credits there's always a one-liner from the show, and during the episode we compete to see who can guess what the quote will be. Only because we've all seen all of the episodes that they run in sindication, we all know what the quote is going to be and eagerly await it, sitting on the edges of our seats until we can jump up and holler "QUOTE!" Stuff like that.

Dad made up a song for Daxie that he was singing earlier, to the tune of that "I believe in miracles...something something...you sexy thing!" song: "I believe in kitty-cats!" It was great.

I've been seeing my family kind of a lot this semester--this is the third weekend I've been down in Eugene, and they've come up to visit me in Portland a couple times. The more I think about it, the more I realize that that was a mistake I made last year. I was going to be all Ms. Independent College Student, so I didn't go home at all until Thanksgiving, by which point I was pretty homesick. So I'm glad to be home this weekend, even if I do have a slightly insane amount of work to get done--being with my family is important work, too.