...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, November 05, 2004

Not to beat a dead horse or anything...

I want to explain the isolation I talked about in my last post. Thomas Friedman (who seems like an interesting character--liberal, but he supported the Iraq war) had a wonderful editorial in yesterday's New York Times titled "Two Nations Under God" that speaks to the isolation I was talking about yesterday. He writes:

...whatever differences I felt with the elder Bush were over what was the right policy. There was much he ultimately did that I ended up admiring. And when George W. Bush was elected four years ago on a platform of compassionate conservatism, after running from the middle, I assumed the same would be true with him. (Wrong.) But what troubled me yesterday was my feeling that this election was tipped because of an outpouring of support for George Bush by people who don't just favor different policies than I do - they favor a whole different kind of America. We don't just disagree on what America should be doing; we disagree on what America is.

And that's really it. I really thought that I was more in line with the majority of Americans. It's so scary to me that the majority of Oregonians and probably the majority of Americans favor a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and preemptive war, and the war in Iraq. It makes me wonder, who are we as a people? And what's my place in that?