...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, December 20, 2004

Lithuania! Latvia! Lebanon! Uh...Lisbon!

In my family, we can turn pretty much anything into a competetive game. (A perfect example of this is how we compete to see who can be the first to guess what a commercial is for.) Sometimes this can be annoying. Other times, it's awesome.

Tonight was one of the awesome times. Dad and Andy and I were lying around idly when Andy picked up the 2004 almanac. "I'll say the first letter of a country; you guys guess which one it is," he suggested to Dad and me. The game sounded pretty lame at first, but Dad and I really got into it. It was pretty fun. We should play it back at school after the break. I think the high light may have been when I called out "Byzantine Empire!" and Dad nearly fell on the floor laughing.

Other games we've played: someone reads out the definition of a word from the dictionary, and we try to guess the word; someone reads the synonyms for a given word out the thesaurus and we try to guess the original word; someone calls out a state and we try to guess the state nickname; someone reads the state motto and we try to guess the state.

We're pretty geeky over here, but we have fun! And by the way, in case it comes up in the future: Oregon's state motto is "She flies with her own wings."