...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, January 24, 2005

All about my lip

One day when I was in the seventh-grade, I woke up with a sore bottom lip. Throughout the day--and I remember Adam D. commented on it during Pre-Algebra--the bottom left side of my lip swelled and swelled until it was pretty lopsided and noticeable. Then, within a week or so, it scabbed over, I picked the scab off (gross, I know), and my lip was back to normal. The only remnant of that strange incident is a small, faint scar underneath my lip. I never quite figured out what caused it to start swelling in the first place, but I wrote it off as a spider bite....although now that I think of it, the idea that a spider powerful enough to induce that kind of swelling was sitting on my mouth while I was sleeping is gross enough to make me want to sleep with a surgical mask on for the rest of my life.

Why am I telling this story? Today, after my last class ended at 4:30, I went to the library to get some reading done. I settled into an armchair in a study room, and by the time I had finished fifteen pages or so, I was exhausted and decided to close my eyes. I woke up fifteen minutes later in fairly intense pain: while I slept, I was biting down hard and chewing on the left side of my bottom lip. I went to the bathroom to check out the damage in the mirror, and not only was that part of my lip all swollen, but I could still see the indentation left by my two front teeth. I honestly believe that I would have bitten through--or at least split--my lip, if I hadn't woken up.

So. If you've never seen the scar under my lip before, ask me and I'll show it to you; it's kind of cool-looking. And if you see me chewing or biting on my bottom lip, please, tell me to knock it the hell off.