...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Bookish

From DeAnn:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?: Exactly what you'd all probably expect me to be: An Interrupted Life, the diaries of Etty Hillesum. My second choice would probably be Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke. But then again, Dad and Andy and I talked about this question a lot when Andy was reading Fahrenheit 451 over the summer, and they both thought that I'd be Baby-Sitter's Club #1: Kristy's Great Idea.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Definitely. Holden Caulfield, of course, from Catcher in the Rye, and both Marius Pontmercy and Enjolras from Les Miserables, since I saw myself as a sort of Eponine character. I'm somewhat embarrased to admit that I had a major crush on Erik, the titular Phantom of the Opera, until I grew up a little and realized how manipulative, scary, and stalkerish he was towards Christine Daae. And I still have a crush on Ron Weasely from the Harry Potter books. Shut up.

The last book you bought is: God's Politics: How the Right Gets it Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It by Jim Wallis. Matt and I went downtown to hear him speak at First Baptist on Thursday night. It was very inspiring.

The last book you read: For school, I think it was The Refiner's Fire: The Making of the Mormon Cosmology, 1644-1844. That's the third time I've mentioned that book in three blog posts! For pleasure, I think it was Mrs. Kimble, for my book group with DeAnn.

What are you currently reading?: For school, I'm currently reading Walking in the Sacred Manner: Medicine Women of the Plains Indians (or something like that; I can't remember the exact title) and Early Mormonism and the Magic World View. For pleasure--nothing! I feel empty. I haven't started our next book club book yet.

Five books you would take to a deserted island: In no particular order, Etty Hillesum's An Interrupted Life, the Bible, the complete works of Rilke (I don't know if such an anthology exists, but I would take it if it did. If not, then just Letters to a Young Poet). Also Jurassic Park and the Onion's This Dumb Century.

Who are you going to pass this meme to and why?

Peggy, Amy, and Chris L., because I'm know they all like to read and they're the only people I could think of who read my blog and would do something like this.