...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Die Welt ist so wundervoll*

A solitary bike ride along the river this afternoon reminded me of all I love about Eugene. The first genuinely nice day since I’ve been back in town—I wasn’t wearing sandals but I could have been. Children playing in the play structures just across the bike bridge from Valley River Center. Barefooted hippie mothers carrying babies in hemp slings. Latina women pushing strollers, black-haired children chasing blossoms blowing off of the trees. Man in a white turban and robe wading in the river. Teenagers picnicking in the park and cheerily waving to bikers passing by. Middle-aged men and women powerwalking in pairs. The river, sparkling blue and pure.

Quote of the Day from Nick Horny's column "Stuff I've Been Reading" in The Believer: "Earlier today I was in a bookstore, and I picked up a new book about the migration patterns of the peregrine falcon. For a moment, I ached to buy it--or rather, I ached to be the kind of person who would buy it, read it, and learn something from it."

It's funny 'cause it's true.

*Okay, so I have this song on my iTunes: Fidelio Act 1: Mir Ist so Wundebar by Beethoven. And all this time, I thought it meant "The world is so wonderful." I wanted to call this post that, but just to be safe, I decided to Google the phrase first, and it turns out it means "Me is so woundable." What? So I have to admit that I have absolutely no idea what the song is about, because for a year and a half I've thought that it was about four people singing about how wonderful the world is. I kind of wish I hadn't found out the truth. Maybe I'll retitle it "Die Welt ist so wundervoll."