...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Through the looking-glass

Today Andy and I rode out to meet Dad for lunch. It was probably the last time we'll do that, or at least the last time I'll do that, since I leave for Chile in less than two weeks. Riding home along the river, I started playing the This Time in Two Weeks game with myself; to wit:

1. This time in two weeks I'll be in Santiago, Chile with all the other estadounidenses.
2. This time in three weeks I'll be in Valparaíso, Chile with my host family.
3. Pimples that I have now, I will still have in two weeks.
4. The milk that my brother just bought yesterday from Dairy-Mart? It won't expire until after I've been gone for two days.
5. The next time I get my period, I'll have been in Chile for a while.
6. The next load of laundry I do will probably just be the clothes that I'm going to be packing.

Luckily, I still have time to do some important things:

1. I still have two weeks to talk with and do things with friends.
2. I still have two weeks in which I can read 3-5 books, depending on their lengths and my interest in them.
3. I still have to go to the dentist to get a filling (dammit).
4. I still have time for long bike rides along the river and work-out sessions at the gym, something I need to do, considering the early summer lethargy left its mark to the tune of about 5 pounds.
5. I still have time to go to several baseball games.
6. I still have time to see at least a couple bad movies at the dollar-fifty theater. (I still want to see Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous. Who's with me? Becca?)

Still. Two weeks. Wow!