...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Yeah, Ko Ko. That chimp's alright. High five!

Meme from Gwen. It's a fill-in-the-blank. Take from it what you will.

1. My uncle once: Lived in a little town in northern Oregon called Liberal and ran the Free People’s Farm with my aunt.

2. Never in my life: Have I done my own taxes.

3. When I was five: I was a baby rat in the Eugene Ballet Company's annual production of The Nutcracker.

4. High school was: An interesting, sometimes frustrating, sometimes exciting way to spend four years.

5. Fire is: Mesmerizing.

6. I once saw: the guy who paints himself silver and stands like a statue around Pioneer Square, eating a meal in the Pioneer Place food court. Seeing him eating, still painted completely silver, made me feel sad. I think that until then, in some important way, I didn’t realize that he was a real person.

7. There’s this woman I know who: is a stay-at-home mother despite having a Ph. D in Economics from Oxford.

8. Once, at a bar: I spent too much money (by which I mean: any amount of money) playing a Canadian lottery game. And I didn’t win anything. I was with a large group of people, and we all tossed our used scratch-off tickets onto the table, creating a pile so high that before long I could barely see the Australian guy sitting across the table from me. Didn't stop us from hooking up later, though.

9. By noon I’m usually: showered and dressed, if I’m lucky. Hey, it’s the summer!

10. Last night: I watched QVC for forty-five minutes in a hotel room in Olympia and fought the desire to order some pantyhose. That was actually the night before last, but I filled this out last night and saved it on my computer to post today. (I guess that answers what I did last night.)

11. If I only had: More confidence.

12. Next time I go to church: I will have to face people who I haven’t seen for a year and who still think of me as the same person I was in high school. I'm not.

13. The best thing about my last relationship was: Adjusting this question for my lack of relationship experience, I would say that I’ve learned that there are worse things than not being in a relationship.

14. What worries me most: That I care about people more than they care about me. And that once my friends discover what a petty, spiteful person I really am, they won't want to be my friends any more.

15. When I turn my head left: I see a stone bust of some Greek or Roman dude wearing a black-and-white sombrero.

16. When I turn my head right: I see the remains of my dad’s ornithological library and my mom’s scrapbooking supplies.

17. You know I'm lying when: I bring something up, then say that it’s not important.

18. What I miss most about the eighties: Naptime.

19. If I were a character written by Shakespeare, I’d be: Stubborn and a little whiny, but with a heart of gold. Or maybe, you know, a tragic heroine. My kingdom for a fainting couch!

20. By this time next year: I will have much more interesting and funny “Once, at a bar” stories.

21. I have a hard time understanding: Why the girls who lived next door to me and down the hall acted the way they did last year.

22. You know I like you if: I'd ever rather be with you than be by myself. This is Grace's answer, but it's a good one.

23. If I won an award, the first person I’d thank would be: My mom, but really all of my family.

24. I'm reading: Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell, the woman who did the voice of Violet in The Incredibles. It's part travelogue and part history--she travels around the country, visiting various sites associated with the assassinations of Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley.

25. Take my advice, never: Have a drunken heart-to-heart with someone who is sober. Especially when that person is your roommate and you have to face her every day.

26. My ideal breakfast is: Corn pops with skim milk, two cups of Murchie’s No. 10 blend black tea, and scrambled eggs. I would eat the cereal with my Light Up Saber Spoon that came in the box of Corn Pops I opened today. It's a plastic spoon with a handle shaped like a light saber, and when you press a button the spoon part lights up red. It's pretty much the best thing ever. My brother tried to dib it as soon as he saw it, but I was all, "Hey, whoever finds the prize first, gets to keep it."

37. If you visit my hometown, I suggest you go to: The Saturday Market, or the Oregon Country Fair, if you visit in mid-July.

28. Why doesn't everyone: Walk with purpose, so as not to meander, block, and annoy the fast-walkers behind them.

29. If you spend the night at my house: The cat is going to wake you up begging to be fed around 4am.

30. I’d stop my wedding: If there were any mention of changing my name. But hopefully that's the kind of detail you'd hammer out with your beloved ahead of time.

31. The world could do without: George W. Bush, Karl Rove, weapons of mass destruction, hatred, greed, slow-walkers, carrots, and Carrot Top.

32. My favorite blonde is: My brother. I guess he's a blond and not a blonde, but whatever. He's my brother and I love him.

33. If I do anything well, it’s: Listening to people with compassion.

34. And by the way: I miss you more than I can express.

35. The last time I was drunk, I: Really wanted to watch The Baby-Sitters Club movie, but ended up playing games and then drunk-IM’ing with Anna, Amy, and Chris.