...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Spanglish of the day: ´´Bloggero´´

Ambar defended my honor last night against allegations of lameness made by Eloisa, a friend of hers from Arica whose staying with us for a few days. Carlos had a bunch of surf friends over to celebrate his birthday, and someone mentioned La Piedra Feliz. ´´La Piedra, that´s where you´re going tomorrow night, right Jessica?´´ Ambar asked me. ´´You go out at night?´´ Elo asked in surprise. ´´I thought you were the type to stay in and go to bed early.´´ (I can see where she was coming from, because Monday, the first day we met, I was so tired that I passed out around nine.) ´´Why do you act so surprised!´´ Ambar yelled. ´´Jessica goes out all the time, a ton! You think that just because she studies Ciencias Religiosas she´s some kind of nun who stays in every night and never goes out, how could that have occured to you!´´ It made me laugh, not least because a running joke has been that when I tell people what I´m studying I always have to clarify that I don´t want to be a nun.