...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, October 03, 2005

What´s a little rain to a native Oregonian?

Yesterday afternoon Ronald and I, along with my CIEE friends Carla, Jon, and Mariah went for a walk around Valparaíso. To tell you the truth I thought about calling Ronald to cancel beforehand--the weather was pretty crappy yesterday and I didn´t want to walk around in the rain, since my grasp on good health has been tenuous at best for the past month or so. Luckily it didn´t start to rain in earnest until after Carla and I met up with Ronald at 4:15, forcing us to go through with the plans. I´m so glad we did! It was pretty much the perfect afternoon, despite getting soaked.

By the time we had all assembled at 4:30, the rain and wind were starting to pick up, so we headed over to Muelle Barón (Barón Moor) to watch the waves. They were huge! The water was a glassy greenish color, and the wind was so strong that Mariah said it made her want to fly. After watching the waves for awhile we walked south along Avenida Perú until we got to Cerro Artillería and Cerro Playa Ancha, further south than I´ve been before in Valparaíso. The hills were beautiful, full of unexpected plazas and broken-down, vividly painted Victorian mansions, and the company and conversation were lovely. We walked back north along the coast and watched the tide come in and the waves crash against the rocky coastline. It made me miss the Oregon coast.

By the time we headed back to Viña by micro, it was quarter to eight and the sky was a gorgeous pinkish-purple color. When I got home, I took a quick shower to rinse off the salt water (I got soaked by a surprisingly huge wave), read a little of Memorias póstumas de Blas Cubas by Machado de Assis for my Brasilian Identity class, watched Desperate Housewives, and passed out at eleven. The perfect end to a great day.