...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, November 07, 2005

Damn the Man!

Boo, the Religious Studies and English departments rearranged their courses and screwed up my plans for next semester. But after some last-minute emails to Kugler, my Religious Studies adviser, I´ve got everything figured out and just mailed my courses off to the Registrar so they can register for me tomorrow and next week. I´m pretty happy with how my schedule worked out:

Monday
RELS 223 New Testament, 11:30-12:30, Rohrbaugh
RELS 450 Seminar in Biblical Studies, 12:40-1:40, Kugler (I think this seminar is something to do with the Dead Sea Scrolls, which is Kugler´s expertise, and the social/cultural world of turn-of-the-eras Christianity and Judaism. That sort of stuff´s not my favorite part of Religious Studies--I prefer American religious history--but it should be interesting, if difficult)
SPAN 450 Theater/Poetry in Franquist Spain, 1:50-2:50, Raillard
IA 212 US Foreign Policy, M 3:00-4:30, Th 3:30-5:00

Tuesday
RELS 243 Buddhism: Theory/Culture/Practice, T Th 1:50-3:20, Cole

Wednesday
New Testament, 11:30-12:30
Seminar in Biblical Studies, 12:40-1:40
Spanish, 1:50-2:50

Thursday
Buddism, 1:50-3:20
Foreign Policy, 3:30-5:00

Friday
New Testament, 11:30-12:30
Seminar in Biblical Studies, 12:40-1:40
Spanish, 1:50-2:50

20 credits in total. The biggest casualty was Creative Non-Fiction Writing, which I wanted to take to fulfill the creative arts requirement and because it sounded interesting. I hope to take it sometime next year--I´ll have an extra slot open, since I´m bumping up New Testament, which was scheduled for Spring 2007, to this spring. I´m a little bummed that I´ll barely have time for lunch with the gang on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and Mondays will definitely be a bitch and a half. On the other hand, Tuesdays and Thursdays will be glorious. The challenge will be to not sleep in late every day and end up wasting the free time.

I was thinking yesterday, as I struggled with a Modernidad y Problemas Sociales reading, what a pleasure it is to read in English. The last book I read in my native language was Lolita by Nabokov, over three months ago; anymore, the only English reading I do is on the internet: blogs, recaps, the Vine, etc. I know I´ll regret saying this about, oh, five months from now, but I can´t wait to have readings and to be able to go to class and discuss things in English.