...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Mischief managed

Back in Chile after a week of soloing it around the Southern Cone. I really hate to cut this post so short, buti f I don´t leave the PIEE office (international student center at the university--who knew it was still open?!) within the next few minutes, I´ll never leave. Depending on how much pocket change I have on me I might write something from the airport tomorrow, but if not here are some snapshots from the past week: dancing at two milongas in Buenos Aires; open-air tango in the plaza in Montevideo; sitting for hours reading and people-watching in traditional stain-glass-ceilinged cafes in BA; dangly copper earrings bought from a fería artesenal; subtropical climates and incredible mugginess; surprise thunderstorms and dramatic lightning in Uruguay; green Quaker parrots flying wild in the plazas; lots of red wine, gnocchi, and steak; stumbling into Mass on the 6th in the country´s oldest church in Colonia, Uruguay, and tearing up because I had forgotten it was a holiday (Epiphany); golden sunsets over the Rio de la Plata; grapefruit juice and strawberry milkshakes; taxi-poaching; being mistaken several times for Argentinian.

Carla´s and my plane leaves tomorrow (that´s the eleventh of January) at 11:40pm for Dallas-Fort Worth. We leave Texas around 9:40 to arrive in Portland, with the time change, around 11:50am. My dad´s meeting me at the airport to take me back home to Eugene for a few days. My parents are driving me back up to Portland on Sunday the fifteenth, and I´ll probably be checking in to Lewis & Clark sometime in the mid or late afternoon.

This has been an incredible, life-changing experience in every way and I´m sure I´ll reflect on it here more later, after I get back to the US, but for now suffice it to say that coming to Chile at this time in my life was the best decision I´ve ever made. I can´t believe it´s almost over, but on the other hand I´m happy to be coming home to my family, my friends, my school, my city, my state, and my country. I love you all and can´t wait to see you soon!!