...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, February 10, 2006

Paul Ricoeur. Say it loud, and there's music playing. Say if soft, and it's almost like praying.

I have a confession to make: I am a little bit in love with French philosopher Paul Ricoeur. I like what he has to say about language and hermeneutics--I'm writing a paper on it for my Biblical Studies seminar, so I'll probably write more about it once I figure out what the hell he's all about--but mostly I just really love his name. Preparing for this paper, I've been thinking a lot about him and his philosophy, as much as I understand it, and trying to sort of parse things out in my mind and waiting for inspiration to strike and just sort of going around thinking, Paul Ricoeur.

It's probably the most beautiful, perfect name I've ever heard. Ryan told me that his last name means "laughing heart," and how lovely is that?

Paullllllll Ricoeur. Le sigh.