...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, March 12, 2006

This advice was not written for me, but it could and maybe should have been

From The Vine (excerpt from the response to the first letter):

So, I think you have to try to untangle, in an honest-with-yourself way, what it is you want from the guy, and once you've done that, I think you need to understand that, even if you really do sincerely miss his company and it's not entirely about him signing off on your worth by acting like a good friend, it still may not happen. Just because someone has acted like a good friend in the past, and should act like a good friend now, doesn't mean they will, or can, and there does come a point with certain people in your life where you've shared a lot of good and bad times, you've gone through a lot together, and you'll always treasure the memories, but...that's about it. You can't rely on them anymore; you don't like certain things about them; whatever. I have friends like that. I think we all do. I see them for beers now and then, we get caught up, we laugh about the dumb shit we did back in the day, but if a dime needs dropping in an emergency, it's getting dropped on someone else.

Sad? Yes. True? Yes.