...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Where, O Death, is now your sting? Alleluia!

Going to church on Easter Sunday is a little like going to a baseball game on the 4th of July. It's packed, and the majority of the people there don't normally attend, so they don't know exactly how to do things, all standing up at the top of the seventh inning to stretch instead of waiting, whispering questions about what the little lights on the scoreboard mean, standing to sing the hymn after the sermon instead of remaining seated. During the Children's Moment at today's service, there were so many babies, toddlers and grade-schoolers that they were spilling off the Chancel and out into the aisles; I whispered to Jim, who I was sitting next to, that I wish we had that problem every Sunday. It was a beautiful service, and my bell choir played for the last time for the semester. We'll start back up again in the fall, but we've got to do a membership drive or something because for various reasons we've been pared down to just two octaves of bells. Everyone tells me after we play how much they love the bell choir, but so few people are actually willing to commit to come to practice every week. It's frustrating.

I didn't achieve everything I wanted to yesterday. I didn't email Ronald, start my Gender Studies paper, finish my New Testament paper, or go to the Chinese Gardens. The papers, at least, will have to get done tonight, since they're both due tomorrow around noon. I predict a late night/early morning at the library, but on the plus side, I don't have class until 11:30, so I can afford to stay up until 5 or 6 or so with no real problem. I did type out the Foreign Policy vocabulary and babysit, which was wonderful. I love babysitting for families around here--it's such an interesting look into the lifestyles of the Portland intelligensia. Plus, the kids are adorable.

Anyways, back to work, I suppose. I hope everyone had a fulfilling weekend and a good holiday, whether Easter or Passover.