...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

For some reason I thought goats weren't kosher

Quote of the Day, from Holy Days: The World of a Hasidic Family by Lis Harris:

"I asked Mirian if she ever read the classic fairy tales to her children, or any other secular books. She said she didn't, because she wanted the villains and heroes her children grew up with to be Jewish ones. On the coffee table in front of her was a small pile of gaily illustrated books. These were the sort of books that she read to her children at bedtime, she said, handing two small books to me. One was called The Double Decker Purple Shul Bus, the other The Three Little Goats Who Went Shopping for Shabbos."

So I'm picturing the Double Decker Purple Shul Bus ("shul" is the Yiddish word for synagogue) as more or less the Magic School Bus. I wonder if there is a Hasidic version of Wishbone? For some reason I'm thinking there's a ruling in the Halacha (Jewish law) about talking animals, but I'm not sure.