...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Hipsters, you let me down

The other day Amy and I were talking about the old-school Baby-Sitter's Club fan club we could have joined in the early 1990s. Neither of us took advantage of the opportunity, a fact I now regret because when you joined you got this sweet t-shirt with all the baby-sitters' signatures on it. Man, do I want one of those shirts. But then Amy pointed out that I already have a BSC t-shirt that I don't wear all that much: a black shirt with the Ramones' logo, only except for their names it says KRISTY CLAUDIA MARY-ANNE STACEY (the original four members of the Baby-Sitters Club) around the seal.

Amy: "You've never worn that shirt."
Me: "Not true! I wore it when we watched the BSC movie last spring."
Amy: "Yeah, and there were ten people there, and we were all drunk."
Me: "Yeah..."
Amy: "I dare you to wear that shirt in public."

So anyways, I wore it today, and you know what? Nobody commented. Nobody! And I had to give a mini-presentation in Methods, so it's not like people weren't looking at me. Amy thought that people probably just assumed it was the Ramones' logo, and I think she was right. But I was disappointed, and I'm going to keep wearing it until I get some comments. Hipsters: get on the ball!

Plans for Fall Break: Sleeping in, starting Ulysses in a coffeeshop on 23rd, finishing Unchosen: The Hidden Lives of Hasidic Rebels, movies and Arrested Development with my fab roomies, Friday night Shabbat services at P'nai Or then Sunday morning worship at First Congregational, seeing Julia for the first time in ten months, many glasses of the finest wine $3.99 can buy. Bliss!