...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, November 06, 2006

Horizontverschmelzung (swoon!)

Discussing Saint Foucault: Towards a Gay Hagiography by David Halperin today in Feminist Theory:

Deborah, the professor: "What did you guys think of Halperin's approach?"
Me: "I love the idea of writing a hagiography for your favorite intellectual. You know, we all have intellectual crushes..."
Deborah: "Really? Who's yours?"
Me: "Um...Hans-Georg Gadamer, the German philosopher..."
Susan: "You're blushing!"
Deborah: "In grad school I had a crush on Max Weber. I kept a picture of him and his wife in my study carrel."
Amy: "I have a crush on Alfred Adler."
Deborah: "Anybody else? Intellectual crushes?"

(silence)

Deborah: "Okay then."