...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, November 10, 2006

Luckily, Portland State is just a bus ride away

Fridays I lunch host for the Admissions Department. That means I meet visiting students (usually there's only one or two or three at a time) at the Manor House at 11:45, take them to lunch in the cafeteria, and answer their questions about Lewis & Clark. Sometimes it's a lot of fun, and I really enjoy talking with the kids; other times it's like pulling teeth and I'm racking my brain for anecdotes to tell the unresponsive, unimpressed, sullen, or shy--those times we usually end up in awkward silence. I'm good at making conversation with strangers, but there has to be give and take, you know?

Today was more on the awkward side of the spectrum. No one really wanted to talk. I tried to make conversation with a girl from Idaho by telling her that one of my best friends is from there, and she was like, "I don't care about other people from Idaho." She sat in silence for a few minutes, looking around the Bon. The next time she spoke, it was to pronounce a judgment: "There aren't very many cute boys at your school."

It's not like I'm going to argue with her, but no one's forcing you to come here, missy. Hmph!