...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Spanish tutoring

Lewis & Clark hires advanced students in every department to tutor more beginning/intermediate students. This year, I'm one of the Spanish tutors. I was really excited to be hired in September, but there are so many of us Spanish tutors (probably around ten or so, more than any other department) that I never got any jobs. I don't know if the other tutors were working. But now, as the end of the semester nears, suddenly all the kids in need of Spanish tutors have been crawling out of the woodwork, and I love it. I bring my computer with me to class most days and when I check my email constantly throughout the day, so I'm practically always the first to receive the emails sent out to all the Spanish tutor and thus the first to respond. I need the money and I'm a good tutor, so I feel absolutely no remorse for taking all the jobs I can get. Today and yesterday alone I tutored 4.25 hours. That's not a lot considering we only make minimum wage but, on the other hand, one hour of work at minimum wage pays for me to see one movie in the theater, so I'm happy.

If any of you who are reading this need a Spanish tutor, ¡llámame!