...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Conversation fragments

James, Frances' boyfriend, to Eric: "You're from Kansas? You don't look like a Kans...Kansean."
Eric: "Sure I do: look!" (brandishes cross.)
James: "I mean you don't look like a meth-head."

Hispanic guy waiting for the shuttle, to Daniel: "Hey, did you go to Beaverton Central High School?"
Daniel: "No."
Guy: "You really look like someone who did."
Daniel: (silence.)
Guy: "I mean, I'm not saying that because I'm racist, and I think all white people look alike."
Daniel: (silence.)
Guy: "Shit, man, you're offended. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."
Daniel: (silence.)
Guy: "If it makes you feel better, I'm half-white, and half-offended right now, too."