...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Monday, February 05, 2007

Get your Urim and Thummin off my family!

I'm researching the controversy surrounding Mormon baptism of Holocaust victims for my Mormonism seminar (in a nutshell, Mormons believe that dead people can be "baptized by proxy" so they can achieve the highest level of heaven, even after death. In 1995 Jewish leaders and the LDS church met and the LDS church pledged to stop baptizing Holocaust victims, but the practice still occurs). Out of curiosity, I went to the LDS Family Search database to see if any J----eks have been baptized. I was a little sickened to see that the names of four of my ancestors, all of whom were born in the early 1900s, were submitted in 1991 by an anonymous LDS church member. It feels like a violation of my family's memory and heritage; I can't even imagine how horrified and devastating it would be to have one's Jewish Holocaust-victim ancestors baptized.