...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Maybe this is what being a grown-up is like

Today I went to Safeway and bought wrapping paper for Daniel's birthday present and a bottle of champagne and soup and cottage cheese, and as I was waiting in the check-out line I felt slightly melancholic and sad, but also like I was accomplishing something significant--sort of the way I felt last year in Chile when I had to go to the gynecologist and then to the bank to deposit money for a lab test to be sent off to Santiago. It struck me as I filled out the deposit slip, that November, that nobody was holding my hand or showing me what to do. This is how people live in the world; this is what it's like to be an adult.