...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday morning, praise the dawning

A friend of mine ("A.") is thinking of converting to Greek Orthodoxy. We talked about it a few days ago when we ran into each other in the Dovecote, and she invited me to attend the information classes with her at her church. Today we both ended up waiting for the shuttle downtown at the same time, and rode back up to campus together, talking about spirituality and relationships; Orthodoxy, Protestantism, and Judaism; fasting, legalism, pride. I'm becoming more and more certain that I'm going to leave the UCC after this year, in part because I feel closer to the Spirit of God in less rationalized/secularized (in the Weberian sense) religious traditions. As much as I admire and support the UCC for its progressive social and political stances, I don't find expression of the joyful mystery and mysticism of faith in the UCC churches I've attended that I do at, for instance, P'nai Or, or during less rationalized Christian services, like Taize. Tomorrow is the first Greek Orthodox class; maybe I'll find what I'm looking for there.