...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

All Ulysses, all the time

Sometime over the past month my bed has developed pronounced crrrr-eeak whenever any weight or movement is applied to it. I mean, I can be just sitting in bed studying, and if I shift my weight ever so slightly, crrrr-eeak!! goes the bed. I don't know if it's the mattress or the bedframe, but it certainly is, as Daniel eloquently put, "fucking obnoxious." "Embarrasing," "conspicuous," and "distracting" are other good descriptors. Because everything in my life has a correspondance to Joyce's Ulysses lately, it reminded me of the scene remembered by Molly Bloom in her fifty-pages-in-one-sentence interior monologue at the end of the novel, when she and her lover Blazes Boylan have sex on the floor of bedroom because the "jingle jangle jingle" mattress is making too much noise. "yes I said yes I will Yes," indeed.