...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Thursday, March 29, 2007

What would Maimonides say?

Priceless. I just checked my referral logs, and I'm the number one response on Google for "Can you schedule a Roomba on Shabbat?"

At first I was like, "No way. That's using electricity, which is creating a spark, which is creating fire, and you're not allowed to light fires on Shabbat." But I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to use automatic timers on lights, so it seems that scheduling your Roomba to activate on Shabbat, as long as you programmed it before lighting the candles eighteen minutes before sunset on Erev Shabbat, would be kosher. So my conclusion would be: yes. Yes, you can schedule a Roomba on Shabbat.

Shabbat Shalom, whoever Googled me...and may your carpets be forever cleaned.