...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Highs and lows

This morning I got an email from the Dean of the Chapel telling me that I've been elected to Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest undergraduate honor society. (I forwarded the email to my mom, and she used, no joke, about thirty-five exclamation points in her response.) Needless to say, I was pretty thrilled. My mom was elected Phi Beta Kappa at Whitman College in 1976 and ever since I was a little girl I've begged her to teach me the secret handshake (there really is one) but she always refused: "Make Phi Beta Kappa when you're in college, and then I'll show you." When I got the email this morning, the first thing I thought was, "Now Mom has to show me the handshake!" Then I got a surprise email this afternoon from the administrative assistant of the Religious Studies department, telling me that in congratulations the Religious Studies department has decided to pay my membership dues ($60)! She told me to thank Rob and Paul, my two favorite Rels. professors, next time I see them, so I think maybe they were behind the decision. All this good news helps temper the oppressive load of an Astronomy test on Friday and a ten-page Don Quijote research paper (in Spanish) due Monday, as well as this general sense of ennui and melancholy that I've been having trouble shaking today. I've been feeling drained and listless; this morning I woke up with the worst cramps I've had in years. I guess my body is punishing me for not letting it grow a baby. I really, really didn't want to go to Astronomy, and I felt sort of sick, but not sick enough that I wouldn't have felt guilty skipping class. In the end, I went; since we have an exam next class I didn't want to miss anything, and I harbor a prideful distrust of anyone's notes but my own.