...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, April 01, 2007

I Dreamed I Met a Galilean (part one)

Alternate Title: "This Week in God."

Today is Palm Sunday, the first day of Holy Week in the Christian tradition. Tomorrow is Erev Pesach, the eve of Passover in the Jewish tradition. Since this year, for the first time ever, I'm fairly immersed in both traditions, I thought it would be interesting to blog through Holy Week and Pesach. This morning as I was riding the bus to church, I went through my schedule for this week, and realized I'm participating in something religious every day of week:

Sunday, April 1: Palm Sunday. I went to services at First Congregational United Church of Christ.

Monday, April 2: Erev Pesach. I'm attending a Passover Seder at the home of Harriet, a woman from P'nai Or who generously invited me and Helana to come over for the holiday.

Tuesday, April 3: Second day of Passover. I'm going to a Seder at Daniel's house.

Wednesday, April 4: Bible Study for Hippies on campus with the gang.

Thursday, April 5: Maundy Thursday. I'll be going to a Tenebrae service at First Congregational this evening. I'm hoping to meet with Reb Aryeh again today to talk some more about the Jewish Renewal conception of Tikkun Olam, but I have yet to call his assistant and schedule a meeting.

Friday, April 6: Good Friday. Since it's the first Friday of the month, there's a Taizé prayer service on campus.

Saturday, April 7: I would normally go to Shabbat services at P'nai Or this morning, but my thesis advisor Sylvia and I both thought that I needed some standard of comparison by which to better understand Jewish Renewal. Since I've never attended any synagogues before P'nai Or, often I can't tell how typical their practices are, or where they're veering away from (I don't want to say "deviating from," since that implies a value judgement) or reinterpreting tradition. So this Shabbat I'll be going to services at Havurah Shalom, a Reconstructionist synagogue in northwest Portland. (I have more to say about the paradoxical relationship between Jewish Renewal and Reconstructionism, but I'm trying to restrain myself right now.) Today is also Holy Saturday. I want to go to the Easter Vigil at Trinity Episcopal downtown, but the lu'au is also tonight and I don't want to miss it...I'll probably leave the lu'au right at 8--supposedly when it ends, although it will probably run on LC time, which is to say, late--and try to enter the vigil unobtrusively.

Sunday, April 8: Easter Sunday. I'd like to go to an early 8:00 am service at Trinity or First Congregational, but the shuttle doesn't start running until 7:50. I will definitely be going to the 10:30 service at First Congregational.

If anyone reading this wants to join me for any of the churchy stuff, just let me know. Check back to tomorrow for reflections on Palm Sunday and yesterday's Shabbat service at P'nai Or; and may you all have a blessed week.