...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I Dreamed I Met a Galilean (part three)

This morning on my way back from my weight-training class I ran into A., my friend who is exploring Greek Orthodox spirituality. (Unfortunately, it never worked out for me to go to the Orthodox information classes with her.) Although we hadn't seen each other for almost two months, I've always felt as though A. and I have the kind of friendship where we can go long stretches of time without seeing each other, and then pick up right where we left off. "Jessica!" she exclaimed when she saw me. "I'm doing it! I'm going all the way!" She's going to take the plunge (literally) and convert to Orthodox Christianity. She's been dating an Orthodox boy and aspiring priest for two weeks; when they first got together, he told her that he didn't believe in dating without the ultimate goal of marriage. "And I said, 'thank God! Neither do I!'" she exclaimed. In her own way, A. has come to the same conclusion as Joshua Harris (author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye) and the kids over at The Rebelution; somehow, though, her journey feels more authentic to me, since courtship wasn't an idea she was raised with, but rather a conclusion she came to on her own.

I've known A. since our first year, when we lived down the hall from each other. I wouldn't have expected, back then, that four years later she would be looking at a future as the wife of a Greek Orthodox priest. But she's happier and more content now than I've ever seen her; I hope that in Orthodoxy, she has found her home.