...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Another addition to the links bar

Joebankey, my little brother's LiveJournal. It's sporadically updated but pretty adorable. "Perhaps Jesus smiled down on me this Easter Sunday as I bought his reduced priced Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. God bless us, everyone!"

I have my Post-Colonial Literature final tomorrow (technically today) at 1pm; it's my last final, although I need to finish my final Mormonism paper and read/summarize the Book of Mosiah (an assignment that was due in February, but that I never did because I was gone that day and also the Book of Mormon is confusing and boring. I don't expect to get credit for it--it was just a credit/no-credit assignment--but I need to do it for my own personal sense of completion and fulfillment**). The Mormonism paper is due Thursday; I wanted to have it done by tomorrow afternoon, since I'm going over to Daniel's Wednesday night and I wanted to be completely done, but if I need to finish it Thursday morning, it's not the end of the world. This evening Iliana and Carla came over for dinner and we talked about Salman Rushdie and Jamaica Kinkaid, google-stalking our professors, and movies. Thursday Carla and I are going to see The Namesake; Friday my parents are coming up to Portland, and Sunday I graduate!

**It was the same situation with my stupid star sketch for Astronomy. The sketch--observe and draw the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper, Polaris, Casseiopeia, and if possible Cepheus right after dusk, then again three hours later, then predict how you think the stars will look right before dawn--was assigned the very first day of class; we were supposed to do it the first clear night of the semester. I was intimidated, I think, because I've never been able to find Big Dipper (shut up) so I didn't do the sketch the first clear night...or the second...or the third...and then there was a solid month of cloudy nights. By the time I finally did the sketch in early March I was embarrased to have done it so late, so I put off turning it in (I felt I needed to give it directly to the professor rather than risk it getting lost in the shuffle of the homework pile) until the very last day of class. I told him I didn't expect to get credit but that I wanted to turn it in for my own sense of completion; he said he understood and that there was a good chance he would give me half credit, which sure enough was the case. It wasn't going to make or break my grade but I just feel better knowing that I've done everything assigned.