...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Quote of the Day

Excerpt from a comment on I Blame the Patriarchy, left by LMYC:

"....Feminism should be threatening to the established order, and if it doesn’t make him confront icky things about himself that make him a bit queasy, it’s not doing its job. You’re all there to work your asses off for women, not kiss some Nice Guy’s backside to reassure him he’s not Like Those Other Guys, You Know, The Bad Ones We’re Protesting Against...More importantly, and I can’t say this enough, hold to extremely high standards and do not compromise them one millimeter. And never allow yourself to back down because you want to “be nice” and “give him a chance.” You do not owe ANYONE that. You aren’t shooting these men dead or throwing them into a lava pit; you’re merely excluding them from a march. If they’re decent or have that capacity in them, they’ll understand. If not, the hell with them. I mean, what is this “be nice and give him a chance” but yet one more variation on the overarching theme of all women’s lives: Don’t Piss Off Mr. Sir Or Else He’ll Get Very Angry And Do Bad Things To Me. It should go without saying that that dynamic has no place in a feminist activist event, or feminism at all. Piss them off, and don’t dare be afraid to do so."

(P.S. Read the post itself. It's outrageous. If you have to ask "Am I raping my girlfriend?" the answer is yes; and if you send that question in to Twisty Faster you already know the answer and are probably getting off from shoving your heteronormative sexualized violence in the face of a radical lesbian feminist. Letters like this dude's make me think that Andrea Dworkin was on to something!)

(P.P.S. I'm in The Dalles right now on my way to Walla Walla to pick up my little brother from college; longer post when I'm back in Portland in a couple days.)

(P.P.P.S. I got the job!)