...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The sweetest thing he could have said

I arrived at work just as Ben, my co-teacher, was preparing to take seven or so friends, including Whiplash, out to the playground to run off some energy. He left me in the classroom with C (boy, 4); V (girl, 4); S (girl, almost 3); J (boy, 4), and twin brothers N and H (4). J asked me to read The Magic School Bus Goes Batty, so we sat down on the carpet and I began to read, J nestled on my lap, V and S on my right, N and H on my left. C was content playing by himself at the art table, where Ben had spread out some fake snow.

" ' "I guess I was wrong," Ralphie said,' " I read, near the end of the story. " ' "Ms. Frizzle isn't a vampire, she's just a really great teacher who sometimes gets too wrapped up in things." ' "

"But, um, um, Teacher Jessica?" N asked. "Why Ms. Frizzle a really great teacher who sometimes gets too wrapped up in things?" Several of the friends frequently repeat sentences almost verbatim, just tacking on the word "why" at the beginning.

"Well, she's a really great teacher because she always thinks of interesting field trips and activities to learn about different things," I responded.

"Oh," N said, thinking about it.

J piped up from my lap. "You're better, though," he said.

A better teacher than Ms. Frizzle?! That's the highest praise a preschooler can give! I was quite moved. Now if only I could turn the kids into raindrops to learn about the water cycle...