...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, July 06, 2007

I hold a Rogersian view of the state of nature

Me, describing the philosophy of my preschool viz-a-vis the Enlightenment philosphers: "...So we're not Hobbesian. We couldn't tell the kids that life was 'nasty, brutish, and short.' We're more...Lockeian."
Daniel: "The social contract? But Locke saw the social contract as a means of reconciling the state of nature. He agreed with Hobbes that it was 'nasty, brutish, and short.'"
Me: "You're right, he's not necessarily more optimistic. So which one are we like? We're the most optimistic about the nature of man..."
Daniel: "You're kind of like Rousseau...well, mmmmmm, kind of, but not really. You're mostly just sensitive and really like kids and innocent. You're more like...Mr. Rogers."

Also, earlier in the same conversation, in a devastating error, I misattributed "nasty, brutish, and short" to Thomas Paine, rather than Hobbes. (A Christian homeschooling blogger recently described Thomas Paine as "...the ungodly and licentious pamphleteer who had some influence on stirring up citizens to fight, but not necessarily for the right reasons.") Is it possible to retroactively fail Inventing America? Lewis & Clark already gave me my diploma; I'm not handing it back!