...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, July 20, 2007

Pottermania

I just got back home from Powell's--it's crazy!! There are several hundred (thousands? I'm not great at estimating large quantities) of people wrapped around the store, waiting until 12:01 am, when the store will begin selling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. At least a third of those people were in costume. There were face painters, tarot card readers, vendors; a news truck had pulled up and blocked off 11th and Couch. Actually, all of Couch between 10th and 11th had been blocked off from traffic and was jammed with people.

I was there just to see what was going on--I'm not buying a copy and I won't have a chance to read it until after August 4, when my brother will pass off our family copy to me (he and my dad are coming up that day to help me move). Realistically, at least some elements will probably be spoiled by then, but I'm going to try to do as much as possible to avoid spoilers--so if you've read the book, don't tell me anything!!