...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Wage slave

A couple months ago my mom told me about a conversation she had with my grandmother, shortly after I graduated and began working full-time at the preschool. "What's Jessica going to be doing in the fall?" my grandma asked. Mom snapped back, "The same thing she's doing now! Jessica's not a student anymore, she's just a regular person!"

The bloom is off that rose.

Yesterday morning and afternoon I was feeling pretty sick. I went downtown but I missed the shuttle up to campus (I wanted to go to services at P'nai Or) by literally fifteen seconds, and spent an hour or so wandering around Pioneer Place, all dizzy and weak-feeling. I took the bus home and threw up a couple times, possibly from the heat. I felt better in the evening and enjoyed hanging out with Daniel and Ethan, but I'm still feeling vaguely resentful of essentially missing out on the chance to enjoy Saturday morning and afternoon. Why couldn't I have been sick during the week, so that I could have the afternoon off? And then, of course, the realization hits that unless I'm seriously, violently contagious, I can't take a day off from work: I can't afford to miss the hours.

I love my job 95% of the time, but being a full-time student was much, much easier than being a "regular person."