...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Saturday, October 13, 2007

When it's good, it's very very good

Teacher Cara and I are beginning an octopus exploration with the kids. We're reading books about octopuses (didactic side note: "octopi" is a common but incorrect pluralization) and squid and talking about how we can convert our classroom loft into an octopus's garden. We spend our days singing "Octopus' Garden," listening to the kids' amazingly creative sea creature stories, and tossing around ideas about papier mache-ing a giant octopus for the loft. It's strange to think that at this time last year, I was killing myself over ancient Near Eastern apocalypticism, Lazarillo de Tormes, and Judith Butler.

(Of course, the opposite is true too: teaching preschool full-time has convinced me as could nothing else that I really do want to go to graduate school.)