...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Notes on going through my books

1:16pm: I've never read anything by Karen Armstrong or Rick Warren--so how did I end up with two copies of The Battle for God and two copies of The Purpose-Driven Life? I'm keeping one of the Armstrongs, but ol' Rick Warren is going straight into the sell-back pile.

1:17: Mama Lola: Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn by Karen McCarthy Brown: YES. What a phenomenal book.

1:20: I quickly realize that I don't actually want all my religion books to come with me to Portland: I have no desire to ever again read The Vimalakirti Sutra. That might be influenced by memories of the professor, though.

1:23: Am I ever again going to need to reference Between Athens and Jerusalem: Jewish Identity in the Hellenistic Diaspora by John J. Collins? When I randomly open the book I come to the subject heading "Pseudo-Eupolemus." I think that answers my question. (On the other hand, I found myself thinking about the Letter of Aristeas the other day...maybe I should keep it around.)

1:28: Why do I have a copy of The Notebook? Gross.

1:30: Someday, I bet I'll finish The House of Mirth.

1:35: The 1992 World Almanac and Book of Facts. Yep.

1:43: Was Willa Cather a Christian Scientist? I find in my books a biography written by Cather of Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science. I haven't read it, so I don't know if it's a hagiographical or critical. Hmmm.

1:48: Elementary Differential Equations: Seventh Edition. I took that math class at the University of Oregon my senior year in high school, which means that I've had this book for over five years. I'm sure I just held on to it for so long because I resented shelling out almost a hundred dollars for it back in 2002--used, even!

2:00pm: Done with the first four boxes. Six more to go...