...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Friday, January 18, 2008

Moved

Last week I moved into my new apartment in North Portland. I'm still unpacking, but the place is definitely taking shape. I was worried, to tell the truth: I stopped by after work on Friday to do some cleaning and was having big-time buyer's (well, renter's) regret. A year lease is a long time, at least at this point in my life, and with the place all bare the scuffed-up floors looked even worse than I had remembered. Suddenly I worried that I hadn't made the right decision, that I had signed myself into a crappy place that I would end up disliking. I comforted myself with, of all people, Carolyn McCulley's words about how people who lock themselves into decisions they can't get out of are happier in the long run than people who keep their options open.

Daniel's dad rented a van and the three of us spent Saturday afternoon hauling over my stuff from my old house; after moving my stuff over we drove around to a couple different thrift stores and ended up finding a great dining room table for $30 at the Goodwill on NE Broadway. We also got two dining room chairs for only fifty cents each! You can't really beat that price. The next day parents brought up a bunch of stuff from Eugene, including two large bookcases, a coffee table, a nice set of pots and pans (an early birthday present, according to my mom), an arm chair, and some toiletries. At this point I have almost all of my books on the shelves, but they're not sorted at all; my project for this weekend is going to be to rearrange them by topic and possibly, on the fiction shelf, alphabetically. The most-represented subject area is Religious Studies, of course, and within that subject area, the largest sub-section is Jewish Studies. I'm thinking that I'm going to put all my Religion books in one case and then post this set of illuminated Hebrew letters (a calendar that I'm planning on taking apart to use as wall decoration) I have next to the bookcase. (When my parents were up in Portland, my mom asked me if I was planning on getting a mezuzah for my doorpost. I said maybe.)

I've spent almost a week in my new place, and so far it's been great. I'm only a five-minute bike ride to work, which has been great since the roads have been icy in the mornings (in my old house I was about twenty hilly minutes away). I'm close enough to ride home during my lunch break, so I'm saving money by not eating out or going to Starbucks. Daniel has spent several nights over and it's just so different and wonderful to have the whole place to ourselves and not have to worry about all the things you worry about living with roommates. The floors are still scuffed--I mean, they're really in bad shape--but that's less noticeable with my furniture in place. I'm planning on having a joint housewarming/birthday party in mid-February (my birthday is the 18th); stay tuned for further notice.

On a less upbeat note, I'm still sick. I have an excrutiating pain in my left rib area that makes it difficult to sleep or find any comfortable position lying down. Rising from a supine to a sitting position in bed is all but impossible. Plus, two of my preschoolers have recently come down with strep throat and scarlet fever (!!! except it's actually just a variant on strep throat, and is not as serious as it sounds)--so when I woke up yesterday feeling feverish and with a painful sore throat, I called in sick. I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon (thank God for health insurance) and while I don't have strep throat, blood work indicated that my white blood cell count is elevated, which suggests a bacterial infection. I'm back on antibiotics and Tylenol with codeine for the rib pain (the nurse thought that it was just a pulled muscle and suggested I take ibuprofen, which struck me as so insulting and dismissive of my pain that I started crying in the examining room). She suggested I take today, Friday, off as well. Since I have Monday off for MLK Day, that makes it a five day weekend. Daniel and I spent the morning at home then, since I was feeling better, headed downtown for a late lunch from the foodcarts on SW 5th and Stark and an afternoon at Powell's.

Finally, a recommendation: all Religious Studies-types, in my opinion, should take to reading Internet Monk, a blog whose subtitle is, appropriately, "Dispatches from the Post-Evangelical Wilderness." Fascinated as I am by the Reformed blogosphere, I can only take so much Young Ladies' Christian Fellowship-style reading before clicking over to Internet Monk, whose sensible and intellectual posts provide a much-needed counterbalance to the other blogs I read. Among the many things I appreciate about Internet Monk are his flat-out rejection of the prosperity gospel and his timely criticism of Joel Osteen. Also check out his post Answers Not in Genesis, a reference to the Young Earth Creationist group Answers in Genesis.

Happy beginning of the semester to my Lewis & Clark friends! Chris and Emilie, welcome back to the country; I can't wait to see you guys and hear all about your travels and experiences. To everyone, let's get together soon.