...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Free to be you and me

Springing forward, with its accompanying loss of an hour of sleep, has been difficult for both me and the kids. Yesterday was great. All days at work should be like yesterday. But today the kids ran me over with a steamroller. If I had more energy I would go to Bible Study or my yoga class tonight or downtown for free WiFi or...but instead I will probably lay on the couch with The Walrus was Paul, a glass of Charles Shaw and watch American Idol. My coteacher Cara has been teaching the kids songs from the classic anthology Free to Be You and Me (and what a cultural artifact, with introductions by Judy Blume and Paula Danziger and Gloria Steinem and an afterward by Kurt Vonnegut--I want to take it home and just pore over it; I love that kind of print media from the seventies), so as though walking around in a hazy daze of lost sleep isn't enough, the soundtrack to my sleepwalking is "I see a land where the children are free...and you and me...are free to be, you and me." It's weird.

Awhile ago Amy turned me on the blog Feminist Mormon Housewives. Check out the post entitled Is There Anything Eternal About a Skirt?, which is all about gender performance and the eternal nature of gender in Mormonism and the LDS community. Mormon doctrine holds that sex/gender (the distinction between the two seems to be lost by church hierarchy) is eternal and that people live gendered lives in the celestial kingdom, but what aspects of contemporary gender performance are eternal? The comments on the post are interesting too, especially the discussion of Judith Butler. Another interesting post points out that for most Americans, racism is still a much stronger taboo than sexism; hence Hilary Clinton can be criticized and ridiculed by the public and by pundits in ways that would horrify if they were applied to Barack Obama.

A final recommendation for a laugh: "A Short Salvation": Key to the Scriptures? on Internet Monk.