...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Loss and gain

On Friday evening there was a tragic accident and some coffee was spilled on my computer's keyboard. Since then the computer hasn't been able to switch on. Many tears were shed. I took it to the Mac Store by the Lloyd Center today, and the guy said that the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the machine, but that for about a hundred dollars they could try to recover the hard drive and "enclose" it for me. We'll try that and cross our fingers that all was not lost. Daniel and I are probably going to buy a new (or refurbished used) computer together. I'm sad about my old computer and I dearly hope that they can recover my files and pictures. I had that computer for five years; it got me through college and through my first post-college year. Well done, good and faithful servant!

Yesterday afternoon I was walking home from the bus stop and passed by this long, gorgeous coffee table with an inlaid wood design. "FREE!" a sign proclaimed. I never pass by free stuff, but this table was four or five feet long and too heavy to carry, so I started dragging it down the sidewalk. I was about two or three blocks from the apartment when a City of Portland utility worker stopped me and said, "Let me do you a favor." He put the coffee table in his City of Portland pickup and delivered it right to my front door. The kindness of strangers, you know?