...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Big brown bear

Several months ago, my co-teacher Cara brought introduced our class to a wonderful CD called Dance for the Sun: Yoga Songs for Kids. The CD is comprised of a dozen or so original children's songs arranged to walk kids through various yoga poses. Some of the songs on the CD can be listened to without the yoga component, like "Caterpillar, Caterpillar" or my favorite "Midnight Moonlight." The songs are really catchy but also well-arranged and musically interesting.

One of the songs is called "Big Brown Bear." The kids love this song and it's incredibly catchy, but lyrically it's not the best song on the CD. Several of the verses don't rhyme, or don't have a consistent rhyme scheme: "I'm a bear, I'm a bear, I'm a big brown bear / munching on some berries / I think the blue ones are the best." Or: "I'm going fishing / salmon fishing / gonna find some fish to eat / the salmon are the best." Still, though, the kids love singing it and clomping around like bears and it's SO CUTE when they all lie down and curl up at the "Gonna find a cozy cave / and take a long rest" part at the end of the song, so we end up singing it a lot.

The other day I was at home singing the song for Daniel. He was like, "I think you might be giving the children an unrealistic image of big brown bears." Then (this part is in poor taste) we started thinking of how to adapt "Big Brown Bear" to be relevant to the Werner Herzog documentary Grizzly Man. Like: "Gonna find a man to eat / the blond one is the best" and "I'm a bear, I'm a bear, I'm a big brown bear / All you see in my eyes / is emptiness and void."

I don't think I'll be introducing the new lyrics to the children.