...except for me and my monkey! "Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see." -Rene Magritte

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Does that line ever work?

I was waiting for the bus last night around SE Pine and Grand when a short twenty-something guy with long brown hair came right up to me. He was dressed all in black and wore pentagram necklace. "It's too bad Andy & Bax [a military supply store in the area] closes so early," he said, looking at me. "Uh huh," I said, in my frostiest Do Not Talk to Me voice. "Yeah...I really need a knife," he said. I took a step back and looked down Grand to see if the bus was coming yet. "I need it to do magic. A knife is very important for magic." I don't know what response he was expecting to get from me, but he clearly didn't get it, because he backed away and started rambling about how he would just go to Andy & Bax the next morning. Then he turned back to me suddenly and grabbed his pentagram. "What do you think of this?" he said, jangling it in my face.

When the bus arrived, I made sure to sit as far away as possible.